View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ladybug0130

Can I marry you and give her my husband!? Sorry, bad joke. I am just kidding. Having a terrible night, I have the flu and am only not in bed because I have to watch my kids, husband came out of Hazelden this week and needs to go back in already...

May I please give you one word of advice? DO NOT have kids with her until she has been sober and working a program for a long time, unless you are okay with essentially being a single parent. An active alcoholic is too self-centered to take care of kids properly. I don't regret my marriage because we have the most beautiful sweet children (and he used to be a pretty darn good guy) but leaving is so much harder. I would have left two years ago if it weren't for the fact that my AH is a good father as far as the small children we have can tell. When he is not passed out (as he is at 7:00 nightly) he is generally sweet to them. Now though things have gotten so bad that it's beginning to be a problem for them.

At the very least, as another poster suggested, take care of yourself first. Living with an AH will totally drag you down. I am a happy and positive person but the past couple of months of going in and out of treatment, taking him to the ER twice among other issues has taken a huge toll on me. I am getting depressed and short with my kids. I am not normally like this. This is why I know I finally need to leave. I worry about what AH will do because he can't function but I just have to live my life now.

Last edited by Ladybug0130; 01-01-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling