View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
wicked

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Perhaps it will help you to get feedback from a recovering alcoholic. Your wife sounds like me 19 years ago when I was active. I had a very close relationship, long term, with a wonderful man who sounds like you. He used logic to try to figure me out

The bottom line is that we alcoholics are self involved, self-centered in the extreme, we have enormous egos and low self esteem and a lot of grandiosity. The love of your life has only one real relationship and that's with the bottle. It's convenient to have a generous soul in our lives to enable our drinking, so we don't have to deal with consequences. We aren't very concerned about that person although we're expert at saying we're sorry and acting like we do.This was me, thank God not in a long time. You have to decide if you want your life to center around an active alcoholic. I sure wouldn't.

Yes, people recover, they do have useful, meaningful lives. But no one can predict who will get sober, who won't. Please do not even think about having a child with this woman while she is active.
I am a recovering alcholic too. I have nothing to add to this honest post.
all that matters to her right now is alcohol. All attempts to control it by you will be thwarted and be another excuse to drink. I had so many excuses to drink. It comes downto the fact that I am an alcoholic and alcoholics drink. Simple.

Beth

Please find some support for yourself, focusing on her will be crazy if you are a logical person. There is no logic here. Just her and the alcohol.
AlAnon.

Last edited by wicked; 01-01-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling