Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
reefbreakbda
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Passive pressure to help her find “bottom”

I recognise that one of the tenets of Al-Anon is that you can’t make the A quit, so you look after yourself which helps you and indirectly is conducive to the A seeking help. An epiphany we probably all have had in order to start getting somewhere.

But other than simply not enabling, can passive pressure be brought to bear to help? I suppose it just the “degree” of not-enabling isn’t it?

If it is true that the A must hit “rock bottom” in order to seek true recovery, can that reaching “rock bottom” be reached sooner by outside influence?

I’ve read the great sticky on “10 ways to help an alcoholic”, awesome stuff in that one .

I do examine to what I extent I enable but where does “enabling” end, and outright “punitive measures” begin? My A is the housewife and receives a salary of sorts. For the most part she does an OK job but clearly it makes for easy liquor money.
I could cut off that money supply (taking on the purchasing role myself) but I would feel it borders on vengeful or punitive, removing responsibility from her and treating her like a child.
Equally taxing is the contradiction of removing her responsibilities which is generally felt not to be a good thing since does it encourage progression of the addiction? Clearly I have not done this (removed the wages) yet, but I worry that leaving her with access to it is enabling.

Conversely I worry that if I took it away, her minor sorties into my wallet might become something more. That said, a night in Jail might be helpful for her self-realisation at this stage