View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SashaMB

First, welcome to SR! This is a wonderful place with great information, and many kind people with a common experience. Please keep post because no matter what the next step in your journey, there are many here who have been through it. I am sorry that you are going through this; I know it's not easy to see your spouse in a downward spiral.

As far as moving out for a month to get her to see the light, I think that's a manipulation that's unlikely to work. The 3 Cs of addictions are:
You didn't Cause it
You can't Cure it
You can't Control it
If you move out with the goal of getting her to change, that's a losing proposition because she's not going to change until she's ready. And even if she decides she's ready she is the one who will have to do the work to get, and stay, in recovery.

One of the most painful, and yet freeing, truths about alcoholism is that it's not about us (the non-drinking partners). Yes, her drinking affects you profoundly, but her reasons for drinking and depression have nothing to do with you. It's painful because it feels like she's choosing alcohol over you. In actual fact that is true. However, it's a small relief for me to know that we are not powerful enough to have caused the drinking.

When I moved out from my alcoholic husband, I did it for me, not him. I could no longer live with the madness of him and his drinking, and I chose to no longer be around it. No one else can tell you whether it's time to stay or go, but whatever you chose, know your limits and chose something you can live with.