View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Rhode

KittyP has asked me:
"What does your wife actually want? Do you think she is at a place where she actually does want to stop drinking but is not sure how to or is she quite content with her drinking and just paying lip-service to you about quitting in order to get you off her back? It's hard to tell the difference between the two as she will be saying similar things either way, but what does your gut tell you?"

Indeed it's hard to tell. Intellectually she certainly recognizes that her drinking is very bad to her health with lots more possible collateral damage. She said at one point "I sometimes lay awake at night thinking 'what am I doing to myself?'"
But is she really ready to quit at this stage? I'm not sure. It think I would have to say that probably not yet - or I would have seen a more systematic attempt to quit.

And for all the people that didn't like my use of the word "good" in the title of this thread - I get your point and accept it. Indeed the word "good" may have not been the most appropriate. I used it for brevity to get across the point of the duality in the behavior - heavy drinking while still functioning in an effective and warm and supportive way towards her family on that day.