View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hailee

Check for empty bottles!

Hi my name is Hailee. Married to AH for 10 years. My husband had a pretty long period of sobriety when I met him (7 or 8 years). I was never told that he had been in rehab several times , had DUI, his first wife left him for the drinkng and took their then 2 yr old son. My AH only recd supervised visitation and was not allowed to drive his own 2 yr old in a car! I found out he was drinking accidentally by finding empty rum bottles all over the house hidden 3 years into our marriage. I wasn't even looking for them, as I suspected nothing. When I called his Dad, that's when they spilled the beans about his alcoholism and said "he cannot drink period." AH said they are exaggerating, he went to rehab three times to shut them up, etc etc. and I believed him. I just threw him out 3 months ago. Finally. but now we have 3 little ones, 7, 5, 15 mos. He was totally drunk when I finished my hospital shift and my 5 yr old was changing the baby's diapers. Totally ridiculous. He has lost his business, his credit, his wife and children and still is self focused and unremorseful for now.

The point of all of this is--take a good look around you. Look for those empty bottles and signs and symptoms of drinking. It may be that your intuition is dead on. Check your house! I am a professional and I consider myself to be intelligent, but he totally snowed me and I always believed everything he said. I was the crazy one just imagining everything. Everything was my fault--I was the source of our arguments as I was unreasonable. He even let me sit in marriage counseling with him and still did not disclose that he was drinking. Just made me look like I am a lunatic or something.

Take a good look around your environment. Be smart. Not like me.

Good luck. I wish you only the best.

Hailee