View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
truefiregirl

need some information

I'm new to this forum and not sure if I can get the help I need here but I would love to get some advice.
I am in a relationship with a recovering alcoholic of 19yrs. I have been in this relationship for about 2yrs, we are engaged and I'm living in his home with his young son and my 2 children.
I am starting to become very concerned about some behaviors that I'm seeing more and more. The man I'm with can be very loving, very funny and kind and often is all of those things. But more and more I am seeing traits that remind me of people I have know with drinking or drug problems. I thought that someone who didn't drink anymore wouldn't act like an addict anymore but I think maybe that's not so. He is highly irritated at times, he's always right/never wrong, he shuts down immediately when I try to talk to him about his behavior. He is also hypersensitive about a lot of things and very self centered.
I do love this man, he has been through a terrible divorce and custody battle but it was 5yrs ago and I am starting to really question this relationship.
I'm an educated woman and I've been researching alcholism and recovery but I would really like to hear from someone who understands what I'm talking about. I hope to hear from someone soon.
Thank you....