View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snack4

I am new here so I really can't comment on your post although all I have been doing is reading alot.

My ex b/f is a recovering alcoholic and his brother & sister in law have told me that he is selfish. I never saw that in him. I know some people will say I chose not to see it in him, but I can honestly say that he always took my needs, wants and emotions into consideration. He was actually quite considerate. Flowers and cards for no reason, sweet text messages during the day while he was working.

He was extremely happy when his 4 year old son "took" to me because then he knew he could enter into a relationship 100% and he did and it was wonderful. He even told his family that we would be moving in together within 6 months.

I did not see his selfishness and emotional immaturity until he ran into an old g/f from 23 years ago. He struggled with why he was having feelings for her if he was in love with me, not to mention she lives 400 miles away. After 2 weeks of struggling emotionally with his decision, he decided he had to follow his heart where his ex g/f was concerned or he would hate himself. He completely ignored the relationship he was in, the level of comfort his son came to depend on with me, the support & stability that we had, and the open and honest communication that we shared...all for an old g/f who lives 400 miles away and that he has not seen in 23 years.

Seriously scratching my head over this one, but I guess it is my lack of understanding the whole recovery thing. Just wanted to share.