View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Violet3

Originally Posted by hps View Post
>>he's European and they don't believe in abstinence, they do moderation programs with points like Weight Watchers, but for alcohol.

Oh, really? I think he is pulling your leg...

Actually no. There was a Dateline or 20/20 segment on the 'points' program for drinking in Europe. I believe the program was in the UK. I don't know how widely accepted or supported it is/was, but it was an active program.

Drinking is a huge problem in Europe, AA is not entrenched there and culturally drinking is not perceived as the problem it is here. I read an Atlantic article once that said 50+% of Russian men, no matter what they died from, they were rip roaring drunk when they died.

And I come from a family of academic anthropologists so I am a bit more aware of cultural interpretations of things. My husband's culture definitely would not think he had any problem at all, even with the drinking and driving. Of course his home country is set up so that you're using public transport and drunk driving is minimized that way.

Now that he's here and married to me and subject to our legal system, it's a different story.

Okay gotta go, he's snooping over my shoulder.

V