View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
chicory

Thought I'd share this

Seems like things waffle back and forth in my situation (I expect that). This week has been one of the less comfortable ones. This morning, I felt so uncomfortable, and just not knowing what to do about it. I felt a weight, an oppression, and finally thought "get my Courage to Change book out". Glad i did. I just opened it, and here is what I read.

"Al-Anon reminds me that I can only deal with one day at a time. This allows me to be more realistic about what I can do to improve my situation.
It gets rid of the constant urgency."
"Today I can see that no problem lasts forever. I used to feel that if I didn't solve a problem immediately, it would remain for all time. Now I know that everything passes eventually, the happy as well as the sad."

"Today I can ask myself, "What can I do about this right here, right now?" This question helps me to identify my responsibility more realistically and shows me what part of the situation is beyond my power to control. Reasoning things out with an Al-Anon friend or attending a meeting often helps me to separate today's problems from those belonging to the past or future. Then I do what I can and turn over the rest."

Todays Reminder:

"I can cope more effectively with difficult situations when I am realistic about my responsibilities. I have the tools I need to face today's challenges. I will trust my Higher Power with tomorrow."

"Today is only a small manageable segment of time in which our difficulties need not overwhelm us. This lifts from our hearts and minds the heavy weight of both past and future."

(one day at a time in Al-Anon quote)

This helped me a lot today. I hope it helps someone else too.

hugs,
chicory