View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
JenT1968

Gosh.

Good plan on NOT letting him back into your appartment when he comes out BTW.

He really doesn't seem to be focussing on the internal work at hand does he? seems much more focussed on making sure you don't get out from his control, get time to consider what is best for you. Whilst the counsellor invitng you to ring them might well be usual (I have no knowledge of that) seems odd they would go on about him being highly emotional, devastated, etc about the relationship, within an answerphone message that in itself seems a little coercive/manipulative.

I would hope that someone who ahd been round the block would attempt to refocus a client who was obsessing about their relationship back onto the reason they were there: learning how to beat their addiction.
still - not all counsellors are good counsellors
or capable of recognising and dealing with manipulation,
and if this is what you are worried about: no - not all people who ring up and state they are counsellors neccessarily are. If you are going to ring him can I suggest ringing the facility and ask to be put through rather than ringing the number he gave you, just on the off-chance.

Your BF clearly is pulling out all the big guns to manipulate you into beleiving he is NOT an alcoholic (he is chosing to stay there for you even though the facility doesn't think he needs to, his nurse and doctors think he isn't an alcoholic and could do with some life coaching instead - HA! HA! HA!), it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he roped in a helper to contact you. Even if he didn't and this counsellor is for real, that doesn't mean the rest of what he says is true.

I am wondering if you could do with some independent support, not just alanon, not just his family, but a counsellor of your own: not the psych at work, not someone connected to the facility, someone to work with you, just for you. Seems you are under a lot of pressure, seems he may be very good at roping people in to help apply that?