View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by nlp321 View Post
I have many mixed feelings about what to do. I really do love him. I want to believe this treatment is going to be successful for him, but I don't know. I know I will worry about his drinking for years. I also feel this immense guilt for bringing him across the country and then leaving him at a time when he needs support the most. When we moved here we both understood that I would need to be the financial supporter for the next 2 years while he finishes school, so how do I leave him with nothing? I just don't know if I will ever be able to really trust him again. I have told him this and he does understand. I told him I honestly don't know if we can ever work, but I do have hope.

Welcome to the SR family!

You are not alone. You are not crazy.
We understand what it feels like to have a loved one addicted to alcohol.

Please be gentle with yourself. You likely did not know about addiction when you began this relationship. It is an education most of us learned about through necessity after we woke up and realized we were living in it.

I don't see that you have anything to feel guilty about. You made an agreement with another adult. You agreed to financially support the other adult as they pursued their education.

You and your family have provided housing and food for this adult as agreed.

You did not agree to support his addiction or the consequences of unacceptable behavior. His addiction is his responsibility. His consequences are his. There are resouces in the community that he can find. He has been through AA. He knows how to find help.

Please make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed. I am always finding wisdom from reading in the permanent (sticky) posts at the top of the forum. Some of our stories are there too.

Here is one of my favorites:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html