View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cobalt

Maybe when one is first experimenting with alcohol in their youth and they don't completely overdo it, it could be possible to feel "normal" the next day. I highly doubt though, that after the first couple times this is done that a hangover wouldn't ensue. It's pretty much physically impossible to stop alcohol withdrawal (except by drinking more, which is a bad idea) so the idea that there are some people who "don't" get hangovers is pretty much BS. A hangover is in itself a very bad episode of withdrawal. In fact as soon as you start drinking, you go into withdrawal, that's why you continue to drink, so you only feel the buzz and not the nasty side effects that come with its consumption. If you think about it, when you're drinking to get drunk, you're basically just avoiding (and increasing) the amount of withdrawal you will experience later.

You use an example of somebody drinking an entire liquor bottle or a 24 of beer in a day. Everyone is different, but personally I don't know anyone who could drink that much and still be alive the next day. 24 beers is more than enough to give you alcohol poisoning, and hard liquor is even worse if it's abused severely (it does depend on the amount though). People can be hungover from only a few drinks, they don't need to consume ridiculous quantities like a 24.

I really think the people who think they don't get hangovers simply don't want to admit it, or they believe that their personal discomfort doesn't actually qualify as a hangover. Bottom line is if you don't feel normal the next day after drinking, you're hungover in some form or another.