View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TeM

The outside enabler; a new wrinkle

Okay, I've known about AW's drinking buddy for a while, but last night I realized just how damaging her influence has been.

AW, recovering from a broken ankle, is drinking wine now. She promised our 18 year old daughter that she wouldn't drink vodka any more, but only 4 ounces of wine a day, because "Dr. Oz says it's good for you". Oh, please.

Since AW hasn't been able to drive, her drinking buddy bought her a case of Yellow Tail. AW started out just drinking a glass a day, but, as one might expect, is now downing a whole bottle per day. (Saw that coming).

Apparently, when I wasn't there, Daughter confronted AW about her broken promise and threatened to move out. Nobody mentioned this to me, but last night, while AW was in a wine-induced fog, her drinking buddy called her. She was sitting a few feet away, and the phone volume was loud enough that I could hear both sides of the conversation.

Essentially, drinking buddy was railing on our daughter for trying to tell AW what to do. She said daughter had no right to take away AW's pleasure like that, and told her to stand her ground, that she wasn't hurting anybody, yada, yada, yada.

I guess I've become numb to this kind of thing; I just sat there and listened in disbelief, shaking my head. Apparently, these two people have no grasp of reality.

I know that this is mild stuff compared to the problems I read about here on a daily basis. I just find it puzzling, and sad, that alcoholics are so consumed by their addiction that they will choose it over everything and everybody, including their own families.