View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MisjudgedDC

I want to help my little sister

I'm not entirely sure where to start... first of all my younger sister who just turned 19 as of today has a drinking problem.
Before people turn around and say it's probably due to bad parenting, it's really not the case.
My mother adopted my sister and I, we're both native girls, and her biological mother had a drinking problem. Our father left us when we were young, leaving my mother who is unable to walk, and has a bad heart. She didn't think our father would leave us in the middle of raising us, so keeping track of my sister was pretty hard on her. She never gave up.

She started drinking at a very young age, and my mother has put her in programs for her to get help at 15, and 16. It worked for a little while, but it just keeps coming back. And when it does, it gets worse. I don't live at home, but my mom will call me some mornings to tell me she's snuck out the window, or didn't come home when she was suppous to. This normally happends when shes drinking.
She has admitted to having a drinking problem, and says she wants help. My mother has made appointments for her, but when the time comes, my sister refuses.
I tried telling my mom (who's old enough to be our grandmother, and ill) that getting angry and raising her voice isn't helping the situation...
This is all very hard on me, and I don't know what to do for her. I want to help her before it gets a lot worse than it is now. It's heartbreaking to actually come to the realization that my little sister has a drinking problem.
I cannot sit here and watch her fall deeper in the hole, so please someone help me.. give me some advice to what I can do for her? She needs help