View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

I think your brother is where he needs to be.

Let Go and give him to HP.

Hi, I'm known as Pelican and I am a recovering alcoholic.
I am also the recovering partner of a 14 year marriage to an alcoholic.
I am also a recovering codependent (fixer/rescuer)

I have a desire to help others, even if it means neglecting myself. I am learning to take better care of me and allow other adults to take care of themselves. Detaching and letting my loved ones experience the consequences of their actions has given me back my serenity.

I understand that you're concerned about your brother's safety and health while incarcerated. I encourage you to keep him in prayer that he finds his way to recovery this time.

I also understand the need to believe my alcoholic's story of "terminal uniqueness". Their circumstances always are the exception to the rule. They aren't like the others. They deserve better treatment. They are victims of society's rules. (remember, I too was an alcoholic).

From both sides of the fence (family addict/personal addict), I say: BS

Big city urban jails are filled with rampant violence and drug use is going on in the facility as well.
So are the streets outside. He is a felon.

Other inmates are demanding commissary funds from him or else he will be dealt with. The jail he is incarcerated at is notorious for federal violations including; lack of medical care, guard assaults, inmate violence, no medical care, overcrowding ect... It is a hell hole. The thing is I want him to realize his consequences, however, he may get killed while waiting his next court date.
He stole from friends to feed his habit. He is a felon.

He is not even getting his 3 square meals a day because other inmates are stealing from him.
He was drinking and drugging on the outside. Addicts don't get 3 square when they are using.

He has so many prior felonies that at this point the court no longer cares. It's prison time and that is it. He has undergone court mandated treatment on his 3rd DUI when he crashed into a department store at 4AM.
Play the tape forward for this addict. If you post bail, what will he do when he gets out? What will he do for money? Entertainment? Food? Shelter? Therapy? How much more money are you willing to throw at a life that doesn't want to change?

He is in for burglary and possession of heroin. He actually stole Christmas presents from a friend to get his fix.
Have you considered using the bond money to reimburse this family?

I have been lied to and stolen from by my alcoholic.
I loved him.

My love was not enough to fix him or protect myself.