View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AnthonyV

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
That sounds like a good idea. Having a personalized treatment plan has worked best for me.
So here is my rough outline of my proposed treatment plan. I'm going to be open to what my counselor suggests as far as group and individual sessions at the treatment center. There are four SMART meetings in my area (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday), I'm going to plan on attending the Monday & Wednesday meetings. There are also two LGBT AA meetings in my area on Saturday and Thursday which I also plan on attending. As I mentioned before, being a gay man I want to stay connected the LGBT community and I feel that will be a good way to do that.

I also need to start exercising again. I really have let myself go, I quit smoking four years ago and must have put on about 80lbs since then. There is a free fitness center at work and one of my coworkers works out just about every morning so I plan on asking her if I can join her in the mornings to be workout buddies. There are also free yoga classes that are offered at work, I think I should sign up for that once I get back into a steady routine.

The treatment center has done studies on the effectiveness of meditation in staying sober. I used to meditate daily and want to return to that practice. I will ask the treatment center for a referral to a mediation class and incorporate that in my recovery.

I also plan on going back to church. I used to go to one of the local Unitarian churches when I lived next door to it and plan on returning. I read in the local newspaper this summer that they have a new pastor and she is openly atheist, so I think I could get into a church community that is lead by an atheist.

I know diet is also important. I will focus on a diet that has a low glycemic index. I have always maintained taking a daily vitamin, dandelion and milk thistle to help my liver, I will definitely continue to take those.

Most importantly, I can not isolate myself. It's easy for me to do because most of my family is 250 miles away. But I've already started to tell some friends what is going on and so far they have been supportive.

Once I am stabilized in my recovery I will look at taking some evening classes. Work has a tuition reimbursement program, so I should take advantage of that as well. I might also look at taking fun courses, the local Whole Foods and the co-op has regular cooking classes, I've always wanted to sign up for those but my drinking got in the way.

When I write it all down, I realize how lucky I really am to have so many wonderful resources so easily accessible to me. I think it's important to have a holistic/balanced plan that focuses on mind, body and spirit.

Again, thank you all for letting me post and taking the time to read my ramblings.