Old 12-19-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Phoenixthebird
Rising from the Ashes

Being a "happy drunk" is contradictory to the physical reactions caused by alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant, which means it slows the function of the central nervous system. Alcohol actually blocks some of the messages trying to get to the brain. This alters a person's perceptions, emotions, movement, vision, and hearing. In very small amounts, alcohol can help a person feel more relaxed or less anxious. More alcohol causes greater changes in the brain, resulting in intoxication. People who have overused alcohol may stagger, lose their coordination, and slur their speech. They will probably be confused and disoriented. Depending on the person, intoxication can make someone very friendly and talkative or very aggressive and angry. Reaction times are slowed dramatically — which is why people are told not to drink and drive. People who are intoxicated may think they're moving properly when they're not. They may act totally out of character.

I'm trying real hard myself to keep my mouth shut! I know how hard it is to keep quite when the alcoholic starts spurting everything that pops in their minds. I'm not married to someone I would classify as a happy drunk. He just went to his psychiatrist, according to him, has told him to stop holding in his negative thoughts and start to express them. I consider myself an optimistic person. :bounce Our relationship right now feels like sand paper!

naive wrote "well, i know happy drunks and they are no walk in the park either. unless you like hearing the same drawn out joke over and over, the drunken laughter, the slurry talk. yeah, they aren't violent but it's like babysitting a 3 year old. except a 3 year old is sober and fresh and the happy drunk is just a sloppy mess." I understand all to well about "hearing the same drawn out joke over and over, the drunken laughter, the slurry talk." Maybe with a three year old you could at least tell them to shut up! My husband gets upset when he is interrupted while talking. :horse The problem is a person never knews when he has stopped talking!

HEAVEN, HELP US!