Thread: I'm a new comer
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
cafleen

"The only constant in life is change."

A motto for us all to live by. Adaptation to change is very hard for some people. It frightens them.

When I was in my 20's...and really trying to grow myself, personally and professionally, I read a lot, did a lot of self work, broke myself down...shed a lot of tears in self realization. But I did come out of that time with a new set of priorities, particularly as they applied to people I worked with. My philosophy became "**** always happens and people come first." I adopted a behavior most of the time of settiing aside my paperwork when staff showed up. They were mostly out in the field and I think they needed to relax and connect when they showed up at the office. I also learned to handle what felt like crises with much greater grace and self control. I learned that all situations will resolve themselves, whether I act or not. I may get a better outcome by doing nothing. The balancing act is knowing when to act...and if I should be the person acting. I still have to remind myself of that when it feels like the world is caving in.