Thread: I'm a new comer
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
coyote21
Awakening

Yes, I would have to agree that Al-anon might offer you some ways to improve your life "whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not". The "quoted" part in the previous sentence is part of Al-Anons opening reading in my group.

Clearly there still seems to be a lot of good in your marriage. Alanon has helped me change the only person I am capable of changing, which of course is me. It has changed my perspective and allowed me to see the many options in life that have always been there, but were obscured by my own ways of thinking.

Just as an example lets use "the falling asleep in the living room and snoring " annoyance. That IS surely annoying. But rather than beating the dead horse of repeatedly telling someone to "get up and go to bed", which serves no purpose other than to aggravate all involved, maybe try moving the conservation to the kitchen, or another room if possible, turn up the T.V. or put on some soothing music to help drown out the snoring. That way you are changing the only person you can change, to make a situation more enjoyable.

To Eight Ball, although it seems totally absurd, I'd be willing to bet your husband may have thought he would have been "rude" to go to bed with "company" still there. Much more hospitable to lay there snoring! Ha!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote