Thread: Trying to Help
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Pull out your keyboard and make yourself at home.
You will find information, wisdom and support here.

As Carol D mentioned, there is a wealth of wisdom in the permanent (sticky) posts at the top of this forum. Some of our stories are there as well.

I am a recovering alcoholic.
I am a recovering ex-spouse of a 14 year marriage to an alcoholic.
I am a recovering co-dependent.

As a recovering alcoholic, I appreciated my friends and family support. However, they just did not "get it". The most encouraging and effective support came from peers that had "been there and done that". I found those people here and in 12-step recovery programs. The best help for a recovering alcoholic comes from a professional or a recovering alcoholic with more sober time. Both of them are able to call the alcoholic out on BS.

As a recovering partner from a marriage to an acloholic, I did not want to air my dirty laundry. I wanted to keep my dysfunction hidden. I have learned in recovery to trust others with my reality, but it took time. When I was ready to share my experience, it was with others that had experienced what I was going through (living in a land of make-believe with an active alcoholic)

As a recovering codependent, I am still learning to respect others and allow them to live their own lives. That includes allowing them the opportunity to experience consequences of their actions. I know I have learned a lot of important lessons from the consequences of my actions.

Your friend is on a path of recovery. It is a day by day process that requires all of her attention. Please continue to support her with positive energy and prayer.

As the friend of a recovering alcoholic, you may find Alanon meetings helpful. Alanon is a 12 step support group for Friends and Family members of alcoholics. (even if the alcoholic is no longer drinking) The meetings last one hour.

They have helped me greatly in learning to take better care of ME.