Thread: Blues
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lillamy

Welcome!!! Well, I can't tell you my story if you want one with an intact family, although I consider my story as one with a happy ending, even if my ex-husband wouldn't agree...

I can, however, tell you the story about my coworker, who started drinking heavily in college and then it got worse. Married, had kids, never missed a day of work, brilliant man, came home and started drinking every day after work. He would hide his bottles in the garage and go drink after the family went to bed.

One night, his wife found him there with a bottle of wine and said, "HONEY! Are you in the garage, at 2 am, drinking red wine directly out of the bottle???" His response was: "No!?"

That's denial for you. Alcoholics all do it.

This wife credits Al-Anon for her life today. After working on her own recovery, she got an intervention team together and just confronted him (I know interventions are controversial, but in this case, it worked): His family, his boss, and his coworkers all got together and told him that he had a choice -- he could leave the room and head directly to the treatment center where they had enrolled him, or he could refuse, and then he would walk out and have no job and no family. Hard-core.

He spent three months in an in-patient treatment center. He spent another few years being a miserable sober alcoholic who just whined about everything. (This is when his wife says Al-Anon helped her the most.) He's been sober for 20 years now; he still has his family (and his job) and he and his wife renewed their vows on a Hawaiian vacation a few years back. (They sent "Thank You" cards to all the people who were in on the intervention...)

So there's always hope. But I think the thing is, you can't just sit on your hands and hope. You have to educate yourself about alcoholism, and figure out how her alcoholism has changed you, and how you can start by helping yourself.

Big hugs.