View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

Our situations were/are the same exactly...

Except not only have I been exactly where you are as described in your post, but instead of asking if I can force my wife to stop drinking I actually was dumb enough to try and do it.

Read the sticky posts and you can see the things I tried, read the books about living with alcoholics and you can see the things I tried, read the things to never, ever do regarding alcoholism and I probably did it.

Nothing changed my wife's behavior for more than a day or two. Nothing I did. Nothing. And I tried for ten years. Then I left her on her own other than a car, mobile phone and insurance on the car. I didn't even pay her rent.

The amount of collateral damage taken by my daughter during that time has resulted in a 15 year old who thinks she isn't worthy of love, does drugs, became sexually active at 13, and does not engage in school despite her high level of intelligence, and she is attracted only to other kids who are as ****ed up as she is. They surround themselves with each other and support one another's dumb a$$ decisions. At this moment, she is suspended from school yet again.

This is what is in store for you and your kids if you try and control her drinking, if you choose to continue exposing your innocent children to her, and if you fail to give her the diginity of facing her life and her alcohlism on her own. All on her own.

The information is there for you not only from me, but from hundreds of others, in this forum and at Al-Anon meetings. You can do it our way, or you can continue to do it your way which got you where you are today.

I feel for you and I wish the best for you and your family.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak

Here's the PS. After two years on her own my wife began to find recovery. Life conspired for us to be together again so we are. There are, however, no guarantees. You will see on this board and in Al-Anon meetings all different kinds of outcomes, some good some bad, but you will almost always see that those of us that live our lives according to these principles are more happy now than we were before.