View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Hold on...she cares for the children after having drunk half a bottle of hard liquor? This is dangerous. Your children could become injured. I wonder if this couldn't be grounds for CPS to remove the children from the home...

IMO, your priority needs to be safeguarding your children against an adult who clearly has no control or no desire to control her addiction. If I were you, I would find alternate childcare for your children when they come home from school (perhaps a mother's helper to go pick them up at the bus stop and supervise homework until you get home).

I would also consult a lawyer ASAP about what you could expect with regards to custody and separation. As nice and lovely as your AW (alcoholic wife) is, she is also an addict who isn't in recovery. You could have grounds for obtaining sole custody with supervised visitation for your AW, until she has been in recovery for at least a year.

I agree with catlovermi that you can take steps to stop enabling her to drink, but as previous posters have mentioned, you do not control this woman and you never will. Giving her ultimatums will most likely result in drama, accusations, tears, etc. Focus on the one thing you CAN control: yourself. What do you want in your life? What are you willing to live with and what aren't you willing to live with?

I do hope you keep posting and reading. SR is always open.