View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

Originally Posted by Missybuns View Post
The twelve steps are very personal process and are shared by both believers in a God(s) and athiests alike who do recover in NA. NA is diverse! Keep doing what you are doing and you will find the winners.
Well said and so true!

Tommy,

As a newer member in NA, I struggled for quite a while with this same issue. In fact, at around 3 yrs clean, I began searching for an alternative program because I got sick and tired of other members (seemingly) forcing their beliefs down my throat. Then it dawned on me that the other members weren't really the problem...it was my intolerance.

You see, the program of NA states very simply that it is non-religious. Even in my step work I had failed to zero-in on the fact that I had a choice of what I called my "Higher Power" :

Step Two - "We can call it the group, the program, or we can call it God. The only suggested guidelines are that this Power be loving, caring and greater than ourselves."

Step Three - "Our concept of God comes not from dogma but from what we believe and from what works for us. Many of us understand God to be simply whatever force keeps us clean. The right to a God of your understanding is total and without any catches."

It is often said that NA is a society within a society. What we find in NA is very similar to what we'll find elsewhere. The US is predominately Christian, so it's natural that the rooms reflect the same. Atheists and Agnostics are a minority in NA, but they too have found recovery and fellowship in NA. As I continued to work the steps attend meetings, I found that I wasn't alone...I found comfort in the literature and other members who were like me. It's important to remember that the program isn't religious, but many of the members are...and I have to tolerate them as they tolerate me.

I suggest you read:

[1] "Up From Down Under" - the last story in the 5th edition Basic Text. It's written by an Atheist.

[2] "The 'G' Word" - Just For Today, pg. 198

[3] "Exploring Spiritual Options" - JFT, pg. 195

[4] "Difficult People" - JFT, pg. 235

I hope this helps.
G