View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Heiress

opinions on non-alcoholic beer please?

My dad was forced to stop drinking in June (2010), because he was found by his girlfriend, largely incoherent, with a minor head injury, suffering from alcohol poisoning; after he had spent three weeks on a binge. She had been gone overseas and left to his on devices, he drank continuously for the three weeks and ate almost nothing. He lost 20 pounds, had some sort of liver failure, and gashed his head from a fall somewhere in the house.

He was taken to the hospital where they put him on some kind of drug which I guess weaned him off the alcohol, they fixed up his head, got some nutrition in him, and also found they needed to remove his gall bladder.

He went to rehab when released from the hospital for 28 days.

He refuses to go to any meetings or go to counseling, because he can "whip it on his own."

He has been a drinker since high school = he's 73 now.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving.

He and the girl friend (who I like very much - she doesn't replace my mother but is a nice friend to have) - arrive at my house for festivities with "non-alcoholic" beer for their beverage of choice. I did not plan to serve anything even remotely like alcohol in deference to his condition.

This stuff looks like beer, tastes like beer, smells like beer, and comes in a bottle that looks like a beer bottle.

Would you say that this is a good beverage of choice, given his refusal to go to meetings or counseling of any kind, or am I still in the angry stage of my confrontation of his illness?