View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Roisin

Does it always escalate?

Not sure about high functioning being a stage rather than a type as someone here put on another post.My AH is 66 years old we have been together 22 years and he was an A when we met.He is retired now but he never missed a days work as a joiner ,he is a singer and guitarist and has played in bands, again never missed a booking,never unable to play due to drink.He helps me round the house and is my carer as I am disabled.He has never kept me short of money ,although we are nothing like as well off as we would have been if he didn't drink,he used to drink mostly in pubs in the beginning which is obviously more expensive ,but now he has less money on his pension he drinks cheap lager or cider from the supermarket at home. He has never even acknowledged that he has a problem ,saying he can stop when he likes,which annoyinglg he can ,but he always starts up again as soon as he thinks he's proved his point.Also his drinking contrary to what I always believed has not really escalated in all these years,he does have periods when he drinks more,but then settles back to his usual pattern again.Apart from having a heart attack 8 years ago which he recovered from quickly and gave up his 60 a day smoking habit,he is extremely healthy for his age ,and looks at least five years younger.