View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LucyA

I don't get to al anon often, in fact it's very rarely that I do get there. My nearest group is a five hour round trip on the bus, with work and kids it's difficult.

I didn't need al anon to tell me though that my life would be better without the daily dramas and upset that my brother brought.
At one point I had my mum phoning me a few times a day to ask me to check on my dad because he'd gone to my brothers to check on him, my dad isn't in the best of health himself and I ony live a few minutes walk away from wher my brother lived. It was a nightmare! I had to tell my mum that my priority was the kids, my brothers son included, and if my dad chose to go there, knowing his health issues, it was up to him to look after himself.

I found the absolute no contact thing very difficult, but he was my brother and |I was looking after his son, and also my parents had expectations of me as I lived so close, they were irrelevant to me. The only thing that mattered was that his son was safe and looked after, if I had to have minimal contact for that then fine, that's how it was. But it was never easy.