View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Originally Posted by yorkiegirl View Post
I left my husband a year and four/five months ago because I could no longer take the drinking. We had been married 9 years at that time and together for 14. He was getting worse and worse. At the time our daughter was three and a half years old. I was angry at myself that I wasn't strong enough to leave earlier. It took me three and a half years of my daughter's life to pass (important, critical years of her life) to finally do it --leave. I felt I had no other option left. He certainly wasn't going to leave. I felt like a failure too. I was supposed to be in this "for better or for worse" (and to be there for my husband in his time of need as his addiction seemed to worsen), yet my emotional, mental and physical being was being compromised. I was not liking the person I had become. Most of all, I feared what staying with my AH was doing to our daughter. I had to let go of the "fantasy family" I had constructed in my head and tried to project to the world (all of our annual happy Christmas photos & family Christmas letter I would send out to all of our extended family and friends each year boasting of yet another amazing year we had had together). Leaving my AH was the hardest thing I ever did. I didn't want to be divorced. I didn't want to be a single mother. (I didn't want my daughter to not have a father). The truth is, I *was* alone. I *was* a single mother. My daughter never really had her father. It was all my fantasy --my false hopes-- that we were a family and that those half-days or few hours of sobriety per day gave me enough to fantasize about a sober, responsible life partner & father for our daughter. . . (how it hurts to even think how I rationalized such an unhealthy situation).

Leaving him was not only the best thing for me & our daughter to remove ourselves from active alcoholism, *but* it was the best thing for my AH. Now, I look back and think, "Was I the last enabler standing in his way?" (Yes, I believe I was). We now have a chance at being a family because he and I are both in recovery.
Yorkie, wow. I could have written this with only 'minor' changes. Married almost 10, together over 16; we left when DS was about 3. Realization that I was already a 'single' mom, that it was my fantasy of our life that kept me emotionally chained to XAH. My family does not look the way I fantasized; not with XAH, but DS and I are surrounded by our family and by love and peace. That is so much better than trying to hold the fantasy in front of what really was.

Wishing us all peace and continued strength.