View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

Anthony, we have similar histories. After my relapse I went into an outpatient treatment program and it helped immensely. For the first month it was 3 hours, 3 nights a week. Hopefully, it is a good program and they encourage you to construct a support network outside of the treatment group. I also started going to meetings by the program which cannot be named, as SMART is not available in my town. Oh and a psychologist too. (After 30 years of drinkin' I was/am one sick mofo.)

Outside of the above referenced program, I can recommend the following books that have helped me. These books are not addiction specific: The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris (Sort of a westernized and pragmatic mindfulness approach to life); The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz (Think Castaneda without the peyote and making stuff up); The Seven Laws of Spiritual Success by Deepak Chopra (Yeah I know, he seems like a media sham, but that little book is pretty solid.)

All of the above is good, but honestly, making connections with other alcoholics was the most important thing for me. It made me realize that my problem was not drinking, it is my thinking, and my thinking was not unique. Once I started talking openly with other alcoholics, I found that others that are just as stubborn, dishonest, resentful, fearful, and feel just as out of place as I do. SR can help, but I needed face time too. At the risk of annoying D, I urge you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Good luck.