View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lillamy

Crystal,

I think it's a very strange situation we put ourselves into when we go to counseling. Two of my kids have commented on it this way: "So -- we're supposed to talk about the things that are so personal we can't talk to anyone about it... with a stranger who gets paid to listen????"

And that's how I've felt in counseling too in the beginning. (I tell my kids that we pay professionals to do stuff for us all the time without being suspicious that they're "only doing it for the money" -- from fixing our cars to fixing our teeth, so why not our emotions/behaviors?)

For me, it's not a "OMG, I clicked with this person IMMEDIATELY!" kind of situation. I need to "warm up" to a counselor, just as with other people I meet. I can go into a doctor's office and talk about the most embarrassing intimate physical problems, but with a counselor, it takes time. It's like getting to know someone a bit, feel comfortable. And I, like you, spent probably the first 3 visits just VENTING because there was so much that needed to come out.

I also think, from the counselor's point of view, that before s/he can start giving you tools or helping you structure (or restructure) how you think about things, s/he needs to know you better. And listening to you vent is probably a great way to do that.

So don't give up yet, would be my advice. Give it time.