View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

Question Holidays and parties

My ABF of 10 years just moved out. He's staying at his mom's for a 'temporary separation'. He's an active alcoholic. He is not working a program. I've attended several Al-anon meetings, and I'm going to be looking for a sponsor soon. I'm trying to find a balance of life with the alcoholic who no longer lives with me. My child and he are very close. I love this man with all my heart. I want to approach our relationship in a loving way and keep my sanity.

So, my son and I are leaving town for a couple of weeks for Christmas, spending the time with my family. ABF is staying back and spending time with his side of the family, especially since this is the first Christmas since his father's death.

We planned to return by New Year's, have our gift exchange and go to a New Year's Eve Party at his aunt's house. She is aware that ABF has been struggling to quit drinking. They usually have a full bar at her NYE party.

This just sounds like an awful Perfect Storm to me. Thing is, I don't want to miss the party and miss being with all these wonderful people whom I love!

Any thoughts?