Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
mmmbdl

Hi Highfunctioning,

I know how you feel, our situations are almost identical. I have been reading these posts for only about a week and already feel that I have learned I can't control his drinking. The difference between you and I is I don't drink, never have around my ABF in the past 2 1/2 yrs of our relationship. Maybe that's why it took so long to realize I have an ABF! He is a great man, he just choses to drink..and he does it alone. I have learned about detatchment...you don't have to physically "leave" the person, but you have to develope your own life, outside of "our" life. Alcoholism is a lifelong disease. He will never be cured. And from one nurse to another, that's a hard thing to accept at first. You have to look to youself for the answers about a future with this man. If you stay, you WILL have to learn how to cope with this disease or else it will kill you, and then the Alcohol has controlled you to. Keep the faith, Keep looking to yourself for the answers, and try to stay focused on YOU, and not just him.