View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
keepinon

Yes its very hard to watch bad influences in our adult childrens lives..but it is ultimately their choice..especially at 18.What you did do..say you are out on your ear unless you get help is in my opinion completely the right thing.
I also hear what you are saying about it not being his choice to go..it sounds like you are concerned he isn't "done"yet.And he may well not be, but rehab will expose him to some tools and when the drug use ceases to be fun (which it sounds like it still is for him) he will know that he can turn to a 12 step program. It plants a seed.My daughter was unable to truly enjoy her using after her 1st rehab cuz her eyes were open and she knew too much.Didn't stop her from using, but taking the fun out it shortned her bottom.
O f course they are depressed..they are using deppresants constantly.The thing for you to do now is start going to alanon or naranon..if you won't do it for yourself , then go for your son.If he doesn't find recovery now, you will need it, and if he does you need it it too.Our counselors at rehab put it this way..if they get healthy and you don't, they will leave you behind because you will be toxic for their recovery.Many of us on this site started getting better at our kids 1st rehab..even if they didn't.