View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Good god, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, all the while going through college. I'm floored that you're doing so well academically. Congrats.

I have to agree with Buffalo about making a plan to cut this person out of your life. It hurts tremendously that she is your mother, but all things considered, what choice do you have?

I remember hearing the accusations from my XAH (ex alcoholic husband), telling me I didn't appreciate him enough, didn't show him enough affection, blah blah blah. In the beginning, I did everything in my power to reassure him, to love him,...in essence I was trying to feed a gaping hole that didn't have a bottom. Whatever I did would NEVER be enough, and of course, it would become an excuse for his drinking. Eventually, I realized EVERYTHING would become an excuse for his drinking.

Have you read this classic reading sticky btw? It's so awesome I keep recommending it to others:
Excuses alcoholics make

And yah, I also second the counselling suggestion. When I was in university, we had access to a counselling service for free. It wasn't stupendous, but it got the ball rolling, and through it, I found other resources that helped me out when I needed it.`

Keep posting! SR is always open...