View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
atdawn

OT - advice on online dating?

Hi everyone,

Friends convinced me to go out dancing the other night, and well I guess it was a learning experience ... I hated it (being looked at as if you were fresh meat (even though I was in jeans and covering long sleeved top) - yuck - and how can you have a decent conversation with anyone in the middle of deafening music - re-yuck).

However I did conclude from the experience that I am done being a recluse. So I joined an online dating website for the 1st time a couple of days ago.
In the past couple of days I got a few messages that did not appeal to me at all. I was actually login in to the dating website this morning to delete my account - feeling this is just a waste of my time - then as I checked my inbox for the last time I actually had a really nice message from a guy who seems decent, and is seemingly looking for the same things as me (just friends for now, just meeting once in a while when we have time in between looking after our kids). So I did not close my account ...

The thing is I am useless in knowing how to take it from there. I have never been been comfortable with writing personal things (as you can see from the number of posts I wrote in the past 6 years lol!), so I would tend towards just replying to his message with a short message and my picture (he did not ask for it in his message but says he would like one on his profile), get his (cause he says on his profile he will send one if the girl sends him one - and after all I do want a reasonably nice looking guy, even as friends ;-)), and then all being well meet up for a coffee.

Anyone with experience in online dating? Should I be more careful (ask questions etc)? I guess he could just have written anything (as he could write anything to questions I would ask anyways). He does seem genuine but there is no way to know anyways until I meet with him - well anyways even after I meet him. All I know is that at least he can write properly!

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by atdawn; 12-07-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo