Old 12-06-2010, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JenT1968

I am not nor have I ever been in a relationship with a recovering, or even dry, alcoholic, so take this with a pinch of salt. but from the outside, and as someone who changed their life immensley to fit in with another's issues/difficulties/requests and ended up isolated and abused because of it...

... be careful what you give up for the sake of another; alcohol, places where alcohol is served, friends who drink alcohol, male friends who buy you alcohol, male friends, female friends....

alcohol is his problem, not yours, insecurity and jealousy are his problems, not yours. Sure he's being all honest with you, opening up, sharing even his not nice feelings (my ex did that too, it was a hook).

But I wonder why your solution to his being uncomfortable in a situation where he has non-earned trust issues, and cravings issues is that you modify your behaviour rather than agree that he doesn't meet you at bars (he can meet you after? or the next day?).

I am not coming from this as an alcohol issue, it's the jealousy and the fact that he asserts he is fine in bars around HIS friends that are flags for me.

Nothing you can do will make him drink, he could have left the very moment he got a whiff of a craving, and he knew you drank and had friends that drank when he met you and got together with you?

Just something to think about.