View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Summerpeach

Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
Sure there are happy endings, but mine wasn't. Educate yourself. Read all you can on here and give AlAnon a try. I so much wanted a happy ending that I let his disease nearly destroy me. I thought we had this magical and wonderful love story when in fact we were just textbook alcoholic and codependent. I was extremely naive and was blindsided by it all. We all wish you the very best and can only share with you how it was for us.
I double this post
I also so much wanted a happy ending. I truly loved my ex. So much so that I tried everything to get us to work. He was sober for 2 yrs, in AA and we were in couples therapy and I truly believed in my heart we would work.
Well he decided to cheat which of course was the last nail in the coffin for me, and I left. So we didn't have our happy ending.

Sure, your ex may stop drinking, but that is only a SMALL portion of recovery, then there is all the ground work to figure out the mental portion of WHY he's an addict.
It's a long, painful and empty road. Not all addicts are the same and some really do work recovery and are capable, but there is a lot of pain to get there.
When I first got to al anon, I told them my bf (now ex) was dry, but not in recovery and this guy in the group came up to me (he was a RA himself) and said "Put your seatbelt on, being with a dry drunk is going to be the ride of your life"
He was NOT kidding!
I had to get off the ride. It broke my heart because I thought my ex and I would grow old.