View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JenT1968

Hey there abraska,
I asked my GP to recommend a private counsellor; he couldn't come up with one, but he did point me to the local Alcohol and Drugs Team, I think most PCTs have one. google "your area or nearest town/city alcohol and drugs team" and a contact list may come up.

I rang them, they had a families support group which unfortunately had a horrible timing clash which meant I couldn't attend BUT, they did give me a list of local counsellers who had some experience with families of addicted people. Maybe one of these avenues could help you to get through the time til the NHS can help? Mental Health services are often very over-stretched, so a wait is par for the course. Most private therapists on the list offered a sliding scale of payments if money is tight. I also eeked my appointments out when I had to, but I found a great counseller, really brilliant.

I don't know if this is the sort of thing that worries you, but most I could also email first to find out about charges and what experience they had, which offered me a "soft" approach.

and come here, as often as you need to, we all need each other ((hugs))