View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mightyqueen801

Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
hwsm,
I am you only I married mine thinking that all he needed was a stable environment. Alcoholism didn't exist in my family or my social circle so I really didn't even know what it was. I thought an alcoholic was someone who drank too much every now and then. I later learned that it goes much deeper than that and my wonderful life became insane. I literally lost myself trying to fix him. And I didn't even know the meaning of insane until I lived in it. I'm telling you, girlfriend, lick your wounds and be thankful that you have the courage to see it for what it is. I saw it for what I wanted it to be and ended up divorced. I'm now getting back to to where I started and life feels pretty good again but I went through hell in the process. Please keep posting and also consider going to AlAnon if you haven't. I found this forum first and it saved my life. AlAnon enriches it. Feel free to PM me and WELCOME to the forum.

Same here! My therapist used to occasionally ask, "Are you SURE one of your parents wasn't an alcoholic?" as if I was in denial about it. I was not the classic case of a ACOA marrying an alcoholic. My parents rarely drank anything--maybe Dad had an occasional beer at the VFW and Mom would have a single brandy Alexander on New Year's Eve and giggle a lot. I had no idea that someone could love beer more than their wife. I sure know now.