View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

I'm sorry you feel trapped in your situation.

I felt trapped in my marriage to an active alcoholic. I felt trapped because I had not worked outside our home for 12 years. I had not finished college. My vehicle was in his name. Our home was in his name. He would also tell me he would move to a state that doesn't allow employers to deduct child/spousal support if I divorced him.

I was sinking in low self-esteem, self-doubt, and defeat.

Alanon meetings and SR have helped me regain my self confidence. I can take better care of myself. I can stand up for my rights.

Self-improvement books have helped me to rebuild my self-esteem. I am important and my life matters.

A few free legal consultations helped me understand my legal rights in my state of residence. One of my free consultations was done over the phone.

Your post title suggests that detachment is physical. Alanon, SR and "Codependent No More" have taught me that detachment is also emotional and mental. Until I was able to physically remove myself from the marriage, I had to practice detachment mentally and emotionally.

Can you confide in someone in your healthcare community your concerns? They may be able to point you to resources that you did not know were available to you and your daughter. Keep reaching out.....

Take care of YOU, you are worth the effort (((hugs)))