View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Babyblue

I have heard of great relationships that came out of someone being successful at recovery, even through harder times. If the person with the alcoholism truly embraces recovery, they actually can be more honest and self aware in a relationship. That is what recovery is all about, being honest including in relationships.

My RABF relapse was tough but it actually brought us closer. Hard times in any relationship are a true test. You either get through them and come out stronger than before or the relationship crumbles under the weight of the stressors. Start piling on other issues (depression, abuse) then the odds of success greatly diminish.

I'm always the eternal optimist. People are capable of change when they really decide to do it for themselves. Undoing possibly years of damage to themselves and others is a huge undertaking so people successful at recovery have to have a certain strength to want to succeed. I'd rather be with someone who wants to do better than someone who didn't have a drinking problem and doesn't change or evolve into a better person.

Anytime you enter into a relationship with someone who has a set of challenges (e.g. addiction, chronic illness or disability, mental illness) there are going to be lots of bumps and it won't always be pretty but if both people enter into it with eyes WIDE open then there is no reason why it can't succeed.