View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

There is no need to change your plans just because he made some promises. Words mean nothing, it's actions that matter. And it will be a good long time before you will know for sure that his actions are telling the truth.

When I separated from my husband, I had gone through many ultimatums. I would threaten to leave, he would stop drinking or cut back enough to appease me, and then the cycle would start all over again. I knew I didn't want to do that anymore. So, when we split, I told him that there was no discussing "us" for 6 months. He could do whatever he pleased in those six months (meaning get sober or don't--I didn't really care anymore). I told him I needed that long just to sort out my own stuff.

Rebuilding yourself is hard enough. So, keep on that path. If it's meant to be, it will. Somewhere down the road. Don't let a few nice words and lovely promises distract you from what you need to do. Because, the truth is, you still need to do it--even if he gets sober.

L

P.S. If you break your posts up into paragraphs, it makes them much easier to read.