Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I'd love to know how long it took a bunch of you to just cut off all contact and no longer worry about someone you love with all your heart?
First time, it took me almost two years to finally break free. It is weird. It's like I'm walking, trudging, trying to get myself to a certain point and then stumble, fall on my butt, start getting back up, sometimes fall back down and remain still on my butt, then sometimes crawling, fall back down, get back up, walk a little ways, fall again. Maybe this description sounds weird, but that is what it is like for me when I am struggling to detach from someone. You try different things, and they either work or they don't. Perserverance means you keep trying to get back up, and you keep trying to move forward, no matter what. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Awareness means becoming aware of what you are doing. Soon you become aware of what you keep doing over and over and you consciously try something else and things start to make sense. A little. Keep trying but please go to AlAnon; it really gives you better perspective. And read and learn as much as you can about the disease of alcoholism.