View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mmmbdl

What should I do about drunken boyfriend

I am very new to this. I recently discovered my boyfriend of over 2 years has a drinking problem. We are great together, discussing marriage,children and living together. He lost his job a few months ago because he lost his drivers license due to an OVI. He spent 10 days in jail for it. That's when I realized his drinking is a serious issue. Now this highly educated man is still unemployed and drinks away his afternoons because of his depression and need for "escape" from his situation. He will be without his car for a few more months,and unfortunetly lives with in walking distance to a grocery store where his vodka is readily available. I have done everything I can think of. Drive him to AA meetings, getting his family and friends involved and giving ultimatums. He is not an violent or angery drunk, but drinks to the point where he just passes out. I am also terrified that he will end up killing himself unintentionally because he also is a diabetic and his blood sugars go too high when he drinks. We are both medical professionals and know the consequenses yet he continues to drink. I love him soo much but cannot put up the drinking. What do I do? I want him back the way he was up untill a few months ago. Do I threaten to leave even though that is the last thing I really want to do, on the other hand, I can't cry myself to sleep every night because he is passed out and ruined our plans for the evening. When sober, he proclaims to never drink again, he is worried at the thought of loosing me, but yet he continues to drink. Will he pass this phase when he gets his license and car back? What do I do? HELP!