View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Coyena

I normally wouldn't reply, but this guy sounds exactly like my husband was about 2 months ago. He told me he simply didn't want to be with me. He said I was boring, we were too different, and all I did was sit on the couch and come up with ways to make people hate him.

I've also heard "its a disease baby, I'm sick." While he took another swig. The best way I can think to put it is this: that's like a diabetic saying "I have a disease so I can't stop eating sugary candy." Because you have a disease, you have LESS of a right to drink.

Back to the reconciliation, I tried to reconcile with him multiple times. I would cry, beg, wimper, explain just how "sad the situation is." And he would usually deny me, until he eventually said something small I wanted to hear, something I could hold onto.

One day, when his drinking was so bad he couldn't pick me up from work (I just had surgery on my knee and I couldn't drive) because he was too drunk to even answer his phone, I walked home on crutches. I called my mom crying, and she came and picked me up from two states away the very next day. (I'm glad she did because I wouldn't have left on my own)

Long story short, he continued to drink until he could not stop because of fear of withdrawals. He was AWOL from the Army, and was out of options. He woke up at 4am on a Sunday with audial hallucinations, and drank the bottle of lysterine to postpone the withdrawals.

He ended up in the hospital, and is suffering severe punishment from the military. They sent him to a month long in-patient rehab which he opted to go to. He has since turned around and has been sober for the longest time in 10 years.

And it all started with me walking out. Had I been there to rescue him, he may not have realized how bad his drinking had become. He had to reach that terrifying low when he wanted out but couldn't get out. I eventually did rescue him by calling 911 and having the EMS take him to the hospital, but it was only after the repricussions had already been set into place.

He's back from rehab now, and we're already living a much happier, healthier life together. I really hope you have the strength to walk out and let him hit bottom. I don't like how a lot of people here tell you to "leave the slob, girlfran!" There is still hope if your husband is still drinking. I stayed in touch with my husband the entire time this was happening, in which he begged me to return, but I only went back to him when his life was in danger and he truely wanted to stop.