View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
daughter333

Hi Thumper,

It's a tricky one that I feel conflicted about. He's aware that I'm uncomfortable (at best) with him drinking, so he may not even try. He's usually a wine drinker but I know he sometimes keeps a bottle of something harder in his suitcase when he travels -- (a backup plan?) As much as I'm just flat out uncomfortable with my dad drinking, my guess is he'll come prepared.

My husband and I are social drinkers, so I don't want to say that we don't allow it in the house -- it's not true. In this case I'm leaning towards not making it an issue until/unless it becomes one. If I tell him in advance that I'm not taking him on liquor store runs it's kind of like I'm encouraging him to bring something -- right? Whereas if I say nothing until it comes up it's more like I'm setting a boundary...

What have others experienced along this vein? I realize a lot of people have had much more painful experiences with alcohol than mine (I had moved out by the time my dad got out of control) and abstain from alcohol themselves. For many it's a bit more black and white.