Thread: Anger/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Originally Posted by SarahG View Post
I'm going to stumble over this, because I can't think of the words for my impression, so please forgive me if this sounds a little disjointed...

Then what is the purpose of having relationships with other people? If we can't trust (because IMO part of trust is "putting yourself out there" and being vulnerable, even just a little), then why bother having a person share your life? I don't mean to be harsh, I just can't think of another way to word it.
Please don't apologize. It took me several years to wrap my head around this and many other things that had been "givens" in my life.

The purpose of having relationships with others is to enhance our lives, not to make us whole. And don't believe for a minute that I have it all figured out. I've just come to realize, at the tender age of 48, that my life is MINE, regardless of who else is in it.

People come into our lives for many different reasons. Most of which are unknown to us until much later. What gets me in trouble is thinking I know the reason. I have a tendency to cast others into roles, then I get upset/disappointed/resentful if they do not live up to the role. My job is to live my life to the best of my ability, not to direct others to fulfill my fantasies.

L