View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Phoenixthebird
Rising from the Ashes

“My secret is that I have found the places within me that illness cannot touch. I have learned to honor them.” Floyd Skloot

I have been journaling off and on throughout my life. However, after January and coming home from suffering my massive stroke, suffering from mobility problems, and short-term memory recall I started journaling for my physical and mental health.

Journaling opened for myself the hidden possibilities of my life. Writing was and is one way to listen to my deepest self and the patterns within me. It allows me to think more clearly, and feel more deeply. Through journaling I have learned to become my own inner friend and supporter. Journaling mobilize my inner and outer resources. It helps me get in touch with my hidden strengths and resources. Journaling helps me focus on the big issues: meaning, mission, the “now what” and “what next” instead of getting caught up in petty and mundane concerns or my past. Journaling helps me to discover my hidden patterns.

Through rereading, I discover my own previously hidden patterns of thinking, feeling, and acting. I have, also, been able to identify patterns in my outer situations and circumstances, and in others’ behavior. By establishing my writing practice, I am able to self-discipline from within instead of being imposed from the outside. Journaling has taught me to become compassionate with myself so I can experience myself as a loving friend instead of “my own worst enemy.”