Thread: still here
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
chicory

Originally Posted by stilllearning View Post
Hi Chicory,

I don't have much in the way of advice but wanted to reach out (quiet, holiday weekend around here) and send you my love.

I don't think codependency is "incurable" - I've never read anything that says it is. I guess I've seen so much change, and so many miracles in the program that I have a hard time with the "incurable" label. I think recovering from codependency is really hard and the nut of it is this:

"my son is going to die from alcoholism, if he does not get help"

He might. And that is an awful hard thing to have to live with when there is absolutely nothing that we can do to get our loved ones sober. It is heartbreaking.

I believe that we each get one, precious life and you (and I) have ours right in the palm of our hand. Things can get better, I know it because I've seen it and I've experienced it. There is no "right" way to recover and no "right" pace. Face to face meetings can be an amazing source of support and strength - if there's a daytime weekend meeting that might be less daunting I would love for you to find some good group support. Especially at this time of year, things can get really tough and it's great to have a place to escape to.

I know it's hard when you're feeling worn down and I know that there's nothing like the pain of watching a loved one suffer.

Sending you support and love,

SL x

Thank you SL,

It means more than I can say.
I need that support and strength! It helps me not to feel like I am drowning all alone in my sea of sadness.
Will look for a day meeting. I cannot believe that there are none close. are they always advertised? we had one a few years ago, but it has dissolved. perhaps i will call one of the numbers in the little daily book that someone loaned me there.

love and hugs, back at you,
chicory